Turkey earthquake worst natural disaster of century in European region: World Health Organization
" After the earthquake, more than 31974 people have lost their lives in Turkey. 5800 people have died in Syria. The total number of dead has increased to 37774. 98 people have been arrested on charges of looting from 8 provinces of Turkey. Of these, 42 people are from Hatay province.
The devastation of the February 6 earthquake continues in Turkey and Syria. So far more than 37 thousand people have died in both the countries due to the earthquake. Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) has termed the earthquake in Turkey as the worst natural disaster of the century in the European region. Several major aftershocks were felt in Turkey after a 7.8-magnitude earthquake on 6 February. The earthquake has caused devastation in Syria as well. "We are witnessing the worst natural disaster in the European region for a century. We are still learning about its magnitude," Hans Kluge, the World Health Organisation's regional director for Europe, told a news conference. The European Region of the World Health Organization includes 53 countries including Turkey. Syria is a member of the WHO's neighboring Eastern Mediterranean region.
Hans Kluge also said the health body had launched "the largest deployment of emergency medical teams" in the 75-year history of the WHO European region. So far 22 emergency medical teams have reached Turkey." After the earthquake, more than 31974 people have lost their lives in Turkey. 5800 people have died in Syria. The total number of dead has increased to 37774. 98 people have been arrested on charges of looting from 8 provinces of Turkey. Of these, 42 people are from Hatay province.
Hans Kluge said, "The needs of both countries are huge. The need for help is increasing every hour. About 26 million people in both countries are in need of humanitarian assistance."Meanwhile, Syrian President Bashar-al-Assad has announced the opening of 2 more border crossings with Turkey. Through this, the United Nations (UN) will be able to send relief material related to the earthquake to Syria. These borders will remain open for the next 3 months to help the countrymen. These borders have been opened for the first time since the civil war that started in Syria in 2011.
For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest World News on The National Bulletin