22 dead, many missing after boat capsizes in Kerala’s Malappuram
According to the information, more people are feared trapped under the boat. Efforts are being made to bring the submerged boat to the shore.
Kerala Boat tragedy: A tourist boat overturned in the river late on Sunday night near Tanur in Malappuram district of Kerala. 22 people died in the accident while many people are reported missing. At present, the rescue operation is going on. The search is on for the missing people in the river. The incident took place on Sunday evening around 7 pm.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed grief over the accident. PM Modi tweeted and said that he is hurt by the death of people in the boat capsize accident in Malappuram, Kerala. Condolences to the bereaved families. Rs 2 lakh from PMNRF will be provided to the next of kin of each deceased.
President, Vice President, CM express grief President Draupadi Murmu on Sunday expressed his condolences to the families who lost their loved ones in Kerala’s Malappuram boat capsize incident. President Murmu tweeted, “Extremely shocking and saddened by the death of people in the boat accident in Malappuram, Kerala. My heartfelt condolences to the families who have lost their loved ones. I pray for the well-being of the survivors.”
Vice President Jagdeep Dhankhar also expressed grief over the death of people in the incident. Vice President Dhankhar tweeted, “Deeply saddened by the loss of lives in the boat capsize incident in Malappuram, Kerala. My thoughts are with the bereaved families. I pray for the safe rescue of all and speedy recovery of the injured.
Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan also issued a statement condoling the deaths and directed the Malappuram District Collector to carry out a coordinated emergency rescue operation. The CM has canceled all official programs and will visit Tanur today.
NDRF team on spot
Malappuram regional fire range officer Shiju KK said the rescue operation is still underway. The exact number of people on board the boat has not been found, so that it can be ascertained that how many people were on board the boat. So far 21 bodies have been recovered.
At the same time, NDRF Inspector Arjun Pal, who was present at the spot, told that we had received the news of the boat capsizing, the rescue operation is going on continuously. People are being searched in the water. Our team of 21 people has reached here.
40 passengers on board boatThe incident is being reported around 7 pm on Sunday evening. According to media reports, there were 40 passengers on the tourist boat. It is being said that most of the people aboard the boat included children. According to Minister V Abdurrahiman, the death toll has now reached 21 and the condition of 7 people is serious.
According to the information, more people are feared trapped under the boat. Efforts are being made to bring the submerged boat to the shore. Rescue operations are underway with the help of fire brigade personnel and voluntary workers. According to the police, the exact cause of the accident could not be ascertained at the moment.
For breaking news and live news updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram. Read more on Latest National News on The National Bulletin